Finding the best sunscreens 2021 is a huge consideration. It’s vacation time, and it means we are enjoying the great outdoors a lot. The Summer sun is shining, in its fullest capacity. So it makes sense for us to consider whether we are protecting our skin from sun damage. Let’s look at sunscreen products that are on the market right now.
Is It Bad To Be Under The Summer Sun?
It is healthy for us to get moderate amounts of “Sun Time” each day…. even in summer. Moderate doses of sun helps boost our health and our self-manufacturing of Vitamin D. Vitamin D is a biggie in helping our immune system fight off viruses, maintains strong bones, and muscles. So we really should NOT avoid ALL exposure to the sun. Most doctors recommend that we get about 20 minutes of sun time daily. I usually get this accomplished during my morning walk. How do you choose to get this amount of Vitamin D boosting done?
The big risk happens when we get too much sun time. When we are getting too much sun exposure, there is a risk of sunburn and possibly skin cancer.
It is also possible to get sun stroke or to become dehydrated when we get too much sun exposure. I wrote about Signs I Am Dehydrated – The Pee Test, which you may want to check out.
Who Decides Upon The Best Sunscreens 2021?
Whenever I see a list saying “The Best Sunscreens 2021”, I wonder about who is deciding this info. Is this a recommendation that comes from a social media beauty adviser, one doctor, a team of authorities, or is it from a friend?
It is very important to know WHO is making the recommendations for the best sunscreens 2021. The Environmental Working Group is a noteworthy group. Here is their description of themselves:
EWG’s team of scientists, policy experts, lawyers and communications and data experts work tirelessly to reform our nation’s broken chemical safety and agricultural laws. We push industries to adopt our standards and stand against chemicals of concern. We educate consumers with actionable information and inspire demand for safer products. When government and industry won’t stand up for our public health, we’re there.
Sounds great, right?! The Environmental Working Group’s 15th annual Guide to Sunscreens has both good and bad news regarding sunscreens sold in America. One ingredient EWG has a negative report upon is oxybenzone. I will write more about oxybenzone in my next article. Just know this for now – oxybenzone is suspected to disrupt hormones. It is quickly absorbed through the skin, and goes into the bloodstream. Hormone balance is GOOD! Hormone disruption means they are out of balance – BAD!
Just two years ago, around 60 percent of sunscreens contained oxybenzone.
Oxybenzone is just one of the toxic ingredients found in sunscreen. EWG’s guide is one of the rare reports available to help us find adequate sun protection while reducing toxins. Sunscreens are supposed to protect us. Yet toxic the ingredients in sunscreens are quickly absorbed within one application. Those same toxins can remain in our bloodstream as long as three weeks following one application. YIKES!
The Best Sunscreens 2021 Aren’t Made In America
What?! Where ARE the best sunscreens made?
According to the EWG best sunscreens 2021 report, “The majority of sunscreen products sold in the U.S. don’t offer adequate protection against both UVA and UVB rays. But the good news is there are more than 400 SPF products that meet our rigorous standards.” Carla Burns, analyst at EWG.
EWG reports that most sunscreens sold in America would not be sold in Europe. European UVA standards are much more strict than American FDA regulations. American sunscreen regulations haven’t been updated since 2011. That’s TEN years! The FDA was planning to work on new standards, but the coronavirus relief bill has sidelined this update.
American sunscreens typically allow about three times more UVA rays to affect our skin, in comparison to European sunscreens. EWG has stated that most FDA approved sunscreens would not be approved in the European Union.
I think we've gotta a problem here!
What Are The Best Sunscreens 2021 Currently Available In America?
Before I write about the products currently available, I want to tell you my intent in the upcoming articles. I WILL be writing about toxic ingredients that are usually found in sunscreens. BUT since summer is happening NOW, I want to give you product names. That is the “WHAT”, in terms of what to buy. That way you can grab something to help give you protection right away. As time goes on, you can get familiar with the “WHY”, in terms of why some ingredients pose a toxic threat to your health.
“Based on the best current science and toxicology data, we continue to recommend sunscreens with the mineral active ingredients zinc oxide and titanium dioxide, because they are the only two ingredients the FDA recognized as safe or effective in their proposed draft rules.” Carla Burns, EWG analyst.
Here are some of the most highly rated sunscreens that met EWG’s criteria for safety and effectiveness:
- 365 Everyday Value Mineral Sunscreen Sport Lotion, SPF 30
- 3rd Rock Sunblock Sunscreen Lotion, Aromatherapeutic, SPF 35
- ATTITUDE Mineral Sunscreen, Fragrance Free, SPF 30
- All Good Sunstick, Unscented, SPF 30
- All Good Sunscreen Butter, 50+
- Badger Sunscreen Cream, Unscented, SPF 30
- Badger Clear Zinc Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30 & 40
- Block Island Organics Natural Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- BurnOut Natural for Family Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- BurnOut Ocean Tested Physical Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Butterbean Organics Simple Healthy Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- C’est Moi GENTLE Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Earth Mama Tinted Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 25 & 40
- Eco Logical Skin Care All Natural Face Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- Eleven By Venus Williams On-The-Defense Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Erbaviva Organic Skincare Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Erin’s Faces Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, Body, SPF 32
- Green Goo Plants With Purpose Solar Goo Zinc Oxide + Shea Butter + Coconut Oil Sunscreen Cream, SPF 30
- Just Skin Food Natural & Organic Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
- Kabana Organic Skincare Green Screen Sunscreen Lotion, Original, SPF 32
- Ke Ko Organics Ko’a Sun Cream, Tinted, SPF 31
- Laguna Herbals Face & Body Sunscreen Stick, Coconut, SPF 30
- Love Sun Body Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, Fragrance-Free, SPF 30 & 50
- Loving Naturals Clear Body Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- Maui Natural Organics All Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Nurture My Body Pure and Simple Organic Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 32
- Nuori Mineral Defence Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Olita Kids Mineral Sunscreen Sunstick, SPF 30
- Pacific Beach Organics Riptide Sunscreen Lotion, Tinted, SPF 32
- Rocket Pure Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Raw Elements Face + Body Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Sea Kind Alive Reef Safe Sunscreen, SPF 30
- Star Naturals Natural Sunscreen Stick, SPF 25
- Summer Lotion Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- SunBioLogic Men’s Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- Suntegrity Natural Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, Sport, SPF 30
- Suntribe Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Sunumbra Family Natural Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30+
- thinksport Body & Face Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
- thinksport Kids Body & Face Sunscreen Lotion, Sport, SPF 30
- Waxhead Sun Defense Sunscreen Stick, SPF 30
- Waxhead Sun Defense Skin Nourishing Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
Also notice, some of the sunscreen brands are now offering safer options, although not all of these brands’ offerings are considered safer EWG picks. These are given scores of 0-2, which means the safer brands. The following products made EWG’s best sunscreen list with a score of “2:”
- Banana Boat Kids Sport Sunscreen Stick, SPF 50+
- Coppertone Water Babies Pure & Simple Sunscreen Stick, SPF 50
- Coppertone Defend & Care Face Sunscreen Lotion, Oil Free, SPF 30
- Equate Kids Mineral Based Sunscreen Stick, SPF 5
- Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Mineral Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Neutrogena Clear Body Breakout Free Oil-Free Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30
- Trader Joe’s Zinc Oxide Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 40
I will include more lists with various categories, such as baby-safe, non-mineral, and cosmetics with sunscreens. Check in on my upcoming articles.
Alternatives to Using Sunscreen
Gotta tell you the truth…I HATE sunscreen! It makes me sweaty. It clogs my pores. I am often allergic to ingredients contained in sunscreens. They stink. I can’t figure out how to apply make-up with it. Cosmetics containing sunscreens often irritate my skin allergies.
There ARE a couple of alternative choices that replace sunscreens:
- Choose the shade. After getting your 20 minutes of recommended sun, move into a shady spot
- Avoid sun exposure’s worst hours. The sun’s rays are most powerful between 10:00 am and 3:00 pm. Get your 20 minutes of sun time outside of those hours.
- Wear protective clothing. This helps tremendously when you just gotta be under the sun. Choose clothing with a UPF rating (Ultra Violet Protective Factor). Remember to wear a hat to protect your scalp. Use polarized sunglasses with UVA/UVB to protect your eyes.
Mindful Thoughts and the Sun
Did you know the yoga practice of using Sun Salutation is a great workout? Many people practice this in the morning. But it can be a great workout in the evening. Sun Salutation is a way to stretch, flex, and tone muscles. It can also help with weight loss, and offers many emotional benefits. Our minds can become relaxed and alert when we use this yoga routine.
Some of the poses involved in Sun Salutation are:
- Mountain Pose
- Forward Bend
- Plank Pose
- Downward Facing Dog
San Salutation is a great time to express gratitude to God, and for the sun He has given us. God created the earth and our bodies to respond to the sun. The sun is a core foundation of the life cycle on our planet.
I think God worked out the sun and the rest of the planet in a brilliant way!
From the rising of the sun to its setting
The name of the Lord is to be praised. Psalm 113:3
Yes, we must protect ourselves from unhealthy sun exposure. Yet we need a bit of sunlight on our skin to help keep us healthy. Our planet needs the sun’s rays to cause plants and trees to grow. Sun affects the water cycle, which we depend upon.
Celebrate that we have the sun.
Enjoy your healthy life!
P.S. Get the support you need to get things rearranged and reduce the chemicals in your home, food, cleaning supplies, and healthy supplements. Request a private consultation with me.